Extreme Skills Program
Ten to fourteen-year olds are the smartest students in the school. Yes, they can be as smart as most adults! They are physically competent and capable of excelling in most physical tasks presented to them. The challenge with this group is they are so focused on what is socially acceptable they often have a hard time keeping themselves emotionally directed to the task at hand. Our solution is to provide them their own program, targeting this stage of development, in a manner that nurtures social and emotional stability while building skills that set them up for smart decision making.
Here's an overview in the stages of development of children ages 10 to 14:
Physically- they typically have great technique and agility, but they can be lazy which leads to sloppiness.
- We expect them to initially be sloppy on things that are physically easy.
- The goal for our program is to get them to understand their potential if they pay attention to the intricate details.
Intellectually- they are extremely smart. However, their critical thinking and decision-making skills are still developing.
- We expect them to initially make choices that are easy rather than applying thought and effort.
- The goal for our program is to get them to apply their intellect and see the bigger picture.
Emotionally- emotions may be particularly enhanced in this group and feelings of anger, sadness, elation, etc. often carry over into unrelated aspects of their lives.
- We expect their efforts can at times be based on how they're feeling emotionally.
- The goal for our program is to provide an environment where they can channel their emotional energy into improving their physical confidence.
Socially- they may attribute more value to what their peers think is "cool"rather than their own morals or opinions.
- We expect them to initially hold back if they are uncomfortable as a defense mechanism.
- The goal for our program is to help them develop and apply intrinsic motivation to realize their true potential.
Because their maturity level calls for a more traditional style of martial arts instruction, this age group's training is different from the others. Inclusion of katas, defensive maneuvers, and other more complicated techniques will be instituted. Completion of their 9th belt renders them "Jr. Black Belt" status and allows them admittance to our Instructors Academy where they can further develop their leadership skills and learn to teach others.
As you can see we take Martial Arts training to a whole new level! We use extreme elements of traditional Martial Arts curriculums to build skills that are appropriate for 10 to 14-year olds. This means that your child will learn and grow at a pace that is not too easy, nor too challenging. The best part is the Extreme Skills Program will equip your child with skills that they will utilize in every area of their life!